- 1 x 400g block tofu, well-pressed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion granules
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 small or ½ large swede – cooked and diced into small cubes
- 2 potatoes – cooked and diced into small cubes
- 2 medium sized carrots – cooked and diced into small cubes
- 1 large onion – diced
- 1 batch pastry or 1 packet Jus-Rol puff pastry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180C. Crumble the tofu into a bowl, keep it quite coarse, add the nutritional yeast, onion granules, tamari, salt and pepper. Mix it together so it’s well combined and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse the flavours.
Next, dice the cooked potato, carrot and swede into 1/2 cm cubes and finely mince the onion. Add them to the tofu mix, stir to combine and leave for another 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, roll out your desired pastry and cut out 18 cm diameter circles. You can use a cereal bowl as a template for ease. Put a spoonful of the tofu and veg mixture onto one half of the pastry so it forms a crescent, leaving 1 cm rim of pastry clear at the edges. Brush the rim with any plant-based milk. Fold over the pastry and pinch the two edges to form a seal.
Make a hole in the tops of the pasties with a knife and brush with the remaining milk. Place in the preheated oven and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes, but check the pastry is cooked and return to the oven for another 5-10 mins if necessary.